Internet

Repeatedly broken undersea internet cables cause inconvenience to VN users

Undersea fiber optic cables in Vietnam have continually encountered problems, including the AAG broken on October 22, 2021 and the APG broken on December 5, 2021.

These incidents have greatly affected Vietnamese people’s internet usage experiences in recent times, such as dramatically slow speed, traffic jams, and even the inability to access websites with foreign servers.

Statistics reveal that 70% of undersea internet cables encounter problems due to human activities, including large-scale fishing. This explains why incidents only occur in certain waters.

The cables used by Vietnam, in particular, are quite sensitive because the sea level here is rather shallow, like the water in Ba Ria-Vung Tau province, where the AAG cable enters the mainland. However, human activities are very active there, which leads to a high risk of cable breakage.

Internet connection in Vietnam mainly relies on undersea cables. The main national telecommunications companies such as FPT, Viettel, VNPT now use the international submarine cables of AAG (Asia – America Gateway), SMW3 (SEA – ME – WE3), IA (Intra Asia), APG (Asia Pacific Gateway) and AAE -1 (Asia – Africa – Euro 1).

On Vietnam Internet Day 2021, Viettel Networks reported that over the past 5 years, the country’s undersea internet cables have been continuously interrupted, an average of 10 times a year. Each incident requires about a month to repair, resulting in a capacity reduction of only three quarters, not to mention that Vietnam has only 7 international cables to operate. This severely affects the international communications infrastructure to serve the people of the country.

FPT Telecom advised that all telecommunications companies must have contingency plans for these incidents. To increase the global connection, FPT Telecom will soon invest in new fiber optic submarine cables.

Viettel Telecom also claimed to have activated its backup plan. Normally, its service delivery capacity does not exceed 65% to save the remaining 35% in case of emergency or unexpected increase in traffic. In addition, the company has connections to two terrestrial fiber optic cables Vietnam – China and Vietnam – Laos – Cambodia.

In addition to operating undersea internet cables, VNPT also uses CSC – the terrestrial fiber optic cable connecting Lang Son province to China, which is quite stable.

The Deputy Director of the Vietnam Telecommunications Authority (under the Ministry of Information and Communications) admitted that due to the recent incidents of broken cables, international internet connections to and from Vietnam were not not satisfied.

He suggested that to ensure the best experience for domestic Internet users, the most feasible solution is to set a backup capacity above normal demands. Other useful measures are to promote the use of nationally registered data, to establish a data center inside the country to minimize the negative impacts of broken cables.

With an increase in the demand for international internet connections in Vietnam by an average of 30% per year, it is evident that the country’s telecommunications infrastructure cannot fully satisfy all needs, as the connection mainly depends on the seven internet cables under -sailors.

Therefore, when a problem occurs, Internet users are the ones who suffer the most serious effects. Unfortunately, the content of compensation in a contract for the provision of Internet services prepared by telecommunications companies is rather simple, and therefore customers have nowhere to seek justice for themselves.

Source: Sai Gon Giai Phong

Two repaired APG and IA submarine cables

Two repaired APG and IA submarine cables

Issues that occurred on two APG and IA international submarine fiber optic cable lines have been corrected. Currently, only the AAG cable remains interrupted.

Undersea cable issue slows internet speed in Vietnam

Undersea cable issue slows internet speed in Vietnam

Besides the two international submarine cables, AAG and APG, which have been experiencing problems since last year, the intra-Asian (IA) submarine cable broke down on February 18, slowing down internet speed in Vietnam. .